
Two men were charged with murder recently after a car-to-car shooting on the 57 Freeway in Diamond Bar two years ago killed one man and seriously injured another person.
Richard Pedroza, 28, of Alhambra and Daniel Rios, 26, of La Habra were charged with one count each of murder with special circumstances and two counts each of attempted murder, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced. The men were also charged with firearm possession by a felon, with Pedroza facing one count and Rios facing two counts.
“Innocent people simply traveling the freeway, just trying to get to their destination, could easily have been caught in the crossfire and killed,” Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said in a statement. “My office will hold these defendants accountable for their cruelty and ensure that justice is delivered to the victims and their families.”
Prosecutors allege that Pedroza and Rios opened fire at another car on the southbound 57 Freeway north of Pathfinder Road around midnight on Aug. 1, 2023. In addition to the two victims, prosecutors said shots were fired at another person who wasn’t struck.
Pedroza and Rios were arrested last week, on Aug. 19, by U.S. Marshals. They are being held without bail.
Pedroza and Rios’ arraignment is scheduled for Sept. 12.
If convicted of all charges, they could face life in prison.
Related Articles
Police pursuit of suspected DUI driver ends in 3-way crash
‘I will not give up on my baby,’ says Cabazon mother, jailed on suspicion of murder
4 dead in fiery, wrong-way crash on 15 Freeway in Temecula
Former Barstow mayor pleads not guilty to illegal pot cultivation, tax evasion
Child abuse probe is related to missing Cabazon boy’s case

Recent Comments