
An ocean closure off Laguna Beach prompted by a sewage spill last week has been reduced in size.
Officials with the Orange County Environmental Health Division said Friday, Jan. 17, the closure will remain in effect for Treasure Island Beach to 500 feet downcoast of Aliso Creek.
The reduced area remains closed to swimming, surfing, and diving after the sewage spilled from a main line that broke Jan. 10 near Laguna Niguel Regional Park.
The Moulton Niguel Water District told city officials that approximately 600,000 gallons had spilled and 130,000 gallons were recovered before reaching the Sulphur Creek and Aliso Creek confluence, Mayor Alex Rounaghi. About 1 million gallons of creek water were removed by the district in its efforts.
Marine Safety Chief Kai Bond said water samples have been taken daily at the beach and in the estuary and creek.
The berm at Aliso Beach, which keeps water in the creek from entering the ocean, breached naturally on Wednesday morning because of a high tide and sand shift, Bond said.
But, samples taken Wednesday and Thursday were clear of bacteria in some areas, he said, reducing the amount of ocean water that required closure.
The OC Health Care Agency tests at least eight different locations, Bond said.
Samples will continue to be taken over the next few days, and the all-clear for water use will be given when there have been two consecutive days of clean results, he said.
Related Articles
Ocean in Laguna Beach closed from Treasure Island to Table Rock Beach due to sewage spill
Ocean advisory warns public to stay clear of ocean near fire-torn areas of Los Angeles
Restored Seal Beach Bay Theatre will reopen with ‘Harbour Chronicles’ film about surfboard icon
Local environmentalists applaud Biden’s offshore oil drilling restrictions
New canvas bell tents add to “glamping” options for campers at state parks